How Can We Help?

Contact Us

SRQ Real Estate Advisors
941.363.1399
info(at)srqcorp(dotted)com
Required fields are marked *
SRQ Commercial Real Estate
888.773.4770
commercial(at)srqcorp(dotted)com
Required fields are marked *
SRQ Residential Real Estate
888.773.4770
residential(at)srqcorp(dotted)com
Required fields are marked *
SRQ Property Management
888.773.4770
propertymanagment(at)srqcorp(dotted)com
Required fields are marked *
SRQ Business Brokerage
888.773.4770
BusinessBroker(at)SRQCorp(dotted)com
Required fields are marked *
SRQ Investment Real Estate
888.773.4770
REInvest(at)SRQCorp(dotted)com
Required fields are marked *
SRQ Construction Company
888.773.4770
ConstructionCo(at)SRQCorp(dotted)com
Required fields are marked *
RS Cares Foundation
855.269.5001
info(at)RSCares(dotted)org
Required fields are marked *

Main Content

Home » Residential Real Estate » Tampa Residential Division » Davis Islands

Davis Islands

Davis Islands is a two island territory in Hillsborough County, Florida. It is a Tampa district and archipelago near Downtown Tampa with views of the Port of Tampa, making it well-known to be a better place to live in. Originally comprised of three islands, the archipelago was affected when the end of one canal was filled in to construct another land area for the airport runway, thus, connecting the two remaining islands at their southern ends.

The two man made islands built from mud dredged from the bottom of Tampay Bay in 1920s werecreated atop two small natural islands previously known as Little Grassy Key and Big Grassy Key, both at the mouth of the Hillsborough River. This dredge-and-fill project was managed at the height of the Florida Land Boom by Tampa native developer D.P. Davis who bought all the dredged land. He initially planned a resort community consisting of 3 hotels, nine-hole golf course, airport and swimming pool. He sold portions of the land but was lost at sea mysteriously in 1926. read more…

Davis Islands is a two island territory in Hillsborough County, Florida. It is a Tampa district and archipelago near Downtown Tampa with views of the Port of Tampa, making it well-known to be a better place to live in. Originally comprised of three islands, the archipelago was affected when the end of one canal was filled in to construct another land area for the airport runway, thus, connecting the two remaining islands at their southern ends.

The two man made islands built from mud dredged from the bottom of Tampay Bay in 1920s werecreated atop two small natural islands previously known as Little Grassy Key and Big Grassy Key, both at the mouth of the Hillsborough River. This dredge-and-fill project was managed at the height of the Florida Land Boom by Tampa native developer D.P. Davis who bought all the dredged land. He initially planned a resort community consisting of 3 hotels, nine-hole golf course, airport and swimming pool. He sold portions of the land but was lost at sea mysteriously in 1926.

Lots of the original structures are still standing today, which received national Historic Designation due to its Mediterranean-style design, and is being preserved by the locals as well. Such buildings feature the Palace of Florence and Mirasol. At present, Davis Islands is a blend of retail and residential destinations though predominantly, extensive combinations of architectural designs were evident due to the go-slow development during the 1930s.

Most of the streets on the island were named after bodies of water, loosely arranged in alphabetical order starting off with Adalia Avenue. This was the first street crossed after arrival on the island from the sole bridge connecting to the mainland. The street names end with Severn Avenue, which was the farthest street away from the bridge leading to the southernmost point of the main island. This is where the Davis Islands Yacht Club can be found. Amazingly, no traffic lights can be found on Davis Islands.

The Davis islands Trail linear park ended its completion in 2010, offering amenities featuring water fountains and benches. This park has a trail 10 ft. wide and runs 1.3 miles from Channel Drive and Davis Boulevard towards the Peter O. Knight Airport parking lot. The Roy Jenkins Pool reopened in 2014, after its renovation, including 2 pools, one with 5 lanes extending 75 feet and the other one is sized well enough for kids. The Sandra W. Freedman Tennis Complex is well-known sports facility alongside the Davis Islands Park softball fields.

Davis Islands also include the Marjorie Park Municipal Yacht Basin and Marjorie Park which was donated to the City of Tampa by Davis who named the park after his wife Marjorie Merrit Davis, located at Columbia Drive. There is also the Seaplane Basin located at south of the Airport. Situated at the East Davis Boulevard is the commercial district where several restaurants, bars, cafes and shops can be seen in serene sidewalk setting, which is also pet-friendly because of the pedestrian kind of island setting.


Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.